4 Year Olds
Our Pre-Kindergarten Program is designed with your child in mind. In order for us to successfully create this curriculum, we place ourselves on the children’s level and experience what they experience. It is important to us that the children learn through play and enjoy what they are learning. Endless Discoveries has designed a curriculum that is theme based and employs the teachers’ creativity and educational experience to ensure your child’s academic success. The activities that are offered are intended to meet the following goals for each child:
- Building self confidence
- Enhancing skills for intellectual, physical, emotional and social development
- Working on social skills, such as listening, sharing and cooperation
- Achieving a sense of self
- Taking responsibility for themselves and their actions
- Behaving in a pro-social way (showing empathy and getting along with other personalities)
Endless Discoveries believes development of the “Whole Child” includes art, music, dramatic play, social awareness, cooking, outside play, with our main focus on Language and Math. We use a variety of curriculum, including:
- A Bekaby Dr. Arlin Horton: This curriculum is Christian-based, but we will be using the curriculum without adding the religious aspects. Endless Discoveries will be using this curriculum to enrich our language program.
- Active LearningSeries by Cryer, Harms, and Bourland; Addison-Wesley
- The Creative Curriculumby Diane Trister Dodge, et al
- Count on Mathby Pamela Schiller, et al
- The Young Child and Mathematicsby Juanita V. Copley
- Preschool Mathby Robert Williams, et al
- DIG: Develop, Inspire, Grow™by Abrams Learning Trends
- Frog Street Pre-Kby Dr. Pam Schiller, et al
- Circle Curriculumby Children’s Learning Institute
Encouragement of Physical Activity
Endless Discoveries strongly believes and supports the need for physical activity each day. Regular physical activity has many health benefits including building healthy bones and muscles, improving muscular strength and endurance, reducing the risk for developing chronic disease risk factors, improving self-esteem, and reducing stress and anxiety. Furthermore, increased academic performance has been linked to physical activity through dynamic interaction. All age groups will be given opportunities for physical activity both indoors and outdoors each day. Endless Discoveries will encourage moderate to vigorous activities such as running, climbing, jumping, and skipping, to the extent of their abilities. Preschool through School-Age will participate in a minimum of 90 minutes per full day. Most opportunities for active play will occur during outdoor play, but teachers will have activities planned in advance for indoor active play as needed. All children will partipcate each day in:
- Two occasions of active play outdoors when weather permits.
- Two or more structured or teacher-led activities or games that promote movement over the course of the day.
- Continuous opportunities to develop and practice age-appropriate gross motor and movement skills.
When participating in physical activity, children’s clothing should protect them from sun exposure and permit easy movement (not too loose and not too tight) that enables full participation in active play. Footwear should provide support for running and climbing. Hats may be worn to protect children from sun exposure.
Examples of appropriate clothing/footwear include:
- Gym shoes or sturdy shoe equivalent.
- Clothing for the weather, such as a lightweight, breathable jacket without any hood and neck strings.
- Footwear that can come off while running or that provides insufficient support for climbing.
- Clothing that can catch on playground equipment, such as those with drawstrings or loops.
Supervised Rest Times
Every age group will have supervised rest times. Children aged Toddler through Pre-Kindergarten will have a blocked off time on their schedule from 12 pm until 2 pm to rest. Children are provided cots or mats with sheets and blankets that are washed weekly or as needed when soiled.